Corporate History

1932

Douglas Eric Clegg takes space at 421 Nottingham Road (Ilkeston); the premises are approved for ‘Builders workshop and office’. D.E.Clegg & Co Ltd begins trading

1940

D.E.Clegg & Co announce they are ‘retiring from business until the cessation of hostilities,’ selling plant and valuables in an auction on 26 September 1940. Items for sale include woodworking machinery comprising a planer, thickener and moulding machine, a hollow spindle morticing and boring machine and several portable huts

1955

After managing to regain market strength, the business takes larger premises at Gladstone Street, Ilkeston. The business remains here for the next 27 years

1960

D.E.Clegg Limited becomes Incorporated

1971

D.E.Clegg begins its first food industry project for Northern Foods in Nottingham

1982

Move to The Parsonage, Hallam Fields Road, Ilkeston, Derbyshire, DE7 4DZ

1988

Turnover reaches £10million

1988

Through the new build of a food factory in Leicestershire, we begin our long-term relationship with Samworth Brothers

1989

D.E.Clegg wins a £6million contract to redevelop the previously empty Commerce Square in Nottingham. The refurbishment project creates 33,000 sq ft of office space and luxury apartments. To celebrate the win, staff hand out bottles of wine to neighbouring Lace Market businesses and residents

1996

Turnover reaches a record £22million, with schemes including a £7.5million contract to refurbish an occupied printing factory in Leicester

1998

Clegg Food Projects Ltd becomes Incorporated

1998

Awarded first BREEAM ‘Excellent’ Award for the construction of new 23,000sq ft premises for the Environment Agency

1998



After almost 70 years in Derbyshire, D.E.Clegg relocates to Nottingham, further developing and buying offices in The Lace Market they previously refurbished in 1989. With a current turnover of £32million, all existing 23 staff pack up the office and make the ambitious move to the Lace Market

2000



Clegg Food Projects construct Europe’s largest sandwich production site in Worksop for Hazelwood

2001



Clegg Food Projects begins the first of many schemes for Greggs plc

2002

D.E. Clegg Limited changes name to Clegg Construction Limited

2002



Clegg Construction undertakes its largest ever project; the rebuild of the Center Parcs holiday complex at Elevden Forest which was destroyed by fire. Costing £41million at over £1million per week, the project was delivered three weeks ahead of programme to allow the client to open for the summer holiday season

2007

Keith Anderson, David Short, Steve Giltrap and Simon Blackburn successfully undertake a management buyout, leading the company forward into future endeavours

2008



Clegg Construction’s £27million River Crescent scheme, the first phase of Nottingham Riverside’s Regeneration, wins the Best Architecture UK category at the Property Awards

2012



The Energy Technology Building at The University of Nottingham is awarded the first BREEAM Outstanding rating for an educational building. The zero carbon building later goes on to receive the BREEAM Education Building of the Year 2014

2013

Clegg Food Projects expand into the Middle East, providing project consultancy for one of the region’s largest food producers

2016

The Clegg Group now employs over 100 people and has a turnover approaching £100million. We came 39th in The Nottingham Post’s Top 200 companies in Nottinghamshire